The 68th Annual Vinton Dogwood Festival on April 28 and 29 celebrates “Hometown Heroes” this year.
The two-day festival features over 100 vendors offering handmade crafts and a Business Showcase, a Friday night concert, festival entertainment stages, an antique car show, a free Kids’ Zone, a free Teen Space, oversize games, street entertainment, a Virtual Reality Area, the crowning of the Vinton Dogwood Festival Queen, the presentation of the Dogwood Court, and the Vinton Dogwood Festival Parade.
Rare Form, a modern country and rock band, will present a concert on Friday evening, April 28, at the Vinton Farmers’ Market Stage, from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. The gate, beverage garden and concessions will open at 6 p.m. Admission is $5.00. Please bring seating and ID.
Saturday, April 29, is a fun day of activities for all ages. Events include a large craft show, business showcase, antique car show, live entertainment on two stages including jazz, big band, top-forty, classics and country, gymnastics and cheer, and martial arts. Juggler David Bear Stuart, Magician Mark Fuller and “The Beat Goes On -Line Dancers” will provide street entertainment.
The free Kids’ Zone located at the Vinton Farmers’ Market will feature large inflatables, a petting zoo, crafts, STEM activities, a fire engine, games, and prizes. The “Teen Space” located on Lee Avenue will feature “Escape Rooms”, Corn Hole, and interactive activities.
In keeping with tradition, the crowning of the Vinton Dogwood Festival Queen will take place on the Vinton Municipal Building stage at noon. One William Byrd High School student will receive the coveted crown and the honor of riding along with her court in the 68th Annual Dogwood Parade. Members of the 2023 Dogwood Court include: Ella Ashworth, Bethany Beecher, Sophia Chrisley, Olivia Hurd, Carsyn Kotz, Bailey Warden, Lily Kroese, Kristen Patrick, Katelin Patrick, and Maddy Simmons.
The parade steps off at 2:30 p.m., following a route from the Vinton War Memorial on Washington Avenue through downtown Vinton to Gus Nicks Blvd.
The Vinton Fire Department will lead the “Hometown Heroes Parade” as Grand Marshals. Their bravery and dedication on July 2, 2022, saved downtown Vinton from more serious loss.
All ages will enjoy the William Byrd High School Band, the Virginia Highlands Pipe and Drum Band, Island Trio, the Virginia Fire Museum Fire Engines, Miss Kitty’s Cosmonaut Stilt Walkers, a variety of floats, walking and novelty units, classic vehicles, costumed characters, clowns, and much more during the parade.
Here’s the Vinton Dogwood Festival Schedule of Events for April 28-29
April 28: Festival Concert: Rare Form Band, 6-10 p.m. on the Vinton Farmers’ Market Stage, $5.00 cover, Beverage Garden and Food Truck. ID required for beverage garden. Bring seating. No pets.
April 29: Festival Activities include: a Craft show with over 85 vendors, a business showcase with over 25 vendors; the AACA Antique Car Show; two entertainment stages; free Kids’ Zone with inflatables, a petting zoo, STEM activities, games; free “Teen Space” with “Escape Rooms,” Corn Hole and more; oversize games, street entertainment including line dancing, juggling and magic on Pollard Street. and Maple Street.
Vinton Farmers’ Market Stage and Parking Lot
- 10:00 a.m. – William Byrd Jazz Band
- 10:30 a.m. – Mish Moves Dance Co.
- 11:00 a.m. – Let’s Dance Band (Big Band, Swing, Pop)
- 11:30 a.m. – Hoppie Vaughn
- 12:15 p.m. – Let’s Dance Band
- 1:00 p.m. – Defy Gravity Cheer
- 1:15 p.m. – Terry and Raymond Duo
- Kid’s Zone – 10:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- Street Performer – Christian “Yeah – Yeah” Thompson, Twirling Ninja
- Food Vendors
Vinton Baptist Church Parking Lot and Stage – Lee Avenue
- 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. – Craft Show
- 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. – Jimmy Wilson and Friends (Americana, covers of Willie Nelson, CCR, Johnny Cash, John Prine)
- 12 noon–Presentation of the Dogwood Festival Court and Crowning of Miss Dogwood Festival Queen, music by Floyd Boone, at the Vinton Municipal Building
- 10 a.m.–Street Entertainment, “The Beat Goes On, Line Dancers,” Vinton Municipal Building.
- Juggler David Bear Stuart and Magician Mark Fuller, various times and locations
- Giant Jenga, Giant Four Over, and other large games on the Neely Accounting Driveway
- Food Vendors
- 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Business Showcase Vendors and Festival Food Vendors, Teen Space, Virtual Reality Area
- Vinton History Museum – Thrasher Quilters and Dogwood Festival History Displays
- Street Entertainment -Juggler David Bear Stuart and Magician Mark Fuller, various times and locations
Thrasher UMC Parking Lot
- RVR-AACA Antique Car Show, 10:00 am – 2:00 pm
Annual Vinton Dogwood Festival Parade – 2:30 p.m. beginning at the Vinton War Memorial
The Vinton Dogwood Festival Committee is grateful for the generous support of sponsors:
- Platinum Sponsors: Rosie’s Gaming Emporium, Whatchaneed Productions, Town of Vinton, Community Foundation Serving Western Virginia – Melva P. Jones Fund, WFXR TV, and Roanoke County
- Gold Sponsors: Food Lion, Oakey’s, Pretty Paws, Truist Bank, Our Lady of the Valley, Home Trust Bank, and Mountain State Oral & Facial Surgery
- Silver Sponsors: First Citizens, Jeff and Susan Teass, Macados-Vinton, Pro Kitchens and Baths, and SFCS
- Bronze Sponsors: A Cleaner World, C. Richard Cranwell, and Vinton Computer
- Other: Bank of Botetourt, Chris McCarty, Vinton Messenger, Nita Echols, National Pools of Roanoke, Inc., and Twin Creeks Brewery
For more information call (540) 983-0645 ext. 5 or visit www.vintondogwoodfest.com to download a Vinton Dogwood Festival Schedule of Events or check facebook.com/vintondogwoodfestival for frequent updates.