William Byrd High School traditionally goes all out to celebrate the holidays. Students and staff hold Ugly Sweater Contests, favorite holiday sock days; they dress as their favorite Christmas movie characters, don Santa hats and headbands, and on several days just wear holiday attire.
One of their most festive activities is decorating virtually the entire building for the holidays— dozens of doors and adjacent hallways— with themes traditional, futuristic, unconventional, or humorous.
Winners are declared and announced at the faculty holiday party.
This year’s holiday door winners were:
- Best in Show (with a message)– Art Class Recycling– Allyson Goin and Amy Sartell
- Plays Well Together Group Award– Welcome to the North Pole– The Math Department
- Unique Concept Award–Thinking Outside the Box– Window Shopping @ Persinger’s– Jordan Persinger – Marketing Department
- Most Luxurious Tree– Melissa Carr– Science Department
- ‘Tis a Gift to be a Simple Minimalist/Best Use of Space Award– Dottie Mayer and Suzanne Spruell– Library
- Most Artistic Ooh and Aah Award– Northern Lights– Marc Hinkle and Dave Marcum
- Best Santa with the Fuzziest Beard– Lisa Stover– Career Center
Photographs of all the doors may be found on The Vinton Messenger Facebook page.